Saturday, August 24, 2013

Hudson River School Art Cards

Whew, I finally finished formatting all the art cards for the year. Term 3 of the Ambleside Artist schedule includes paintings by artist from The Hudson River School. I have never heard of any of them before now, but the paintings we are going to be studying this term are absolutely beautiful. I think they really capture the essence of the American Frontier ideal. I'm curious to see what my girls think of them. There are some rather large files here, because not only will be be studying some compilations, but there are also quite a few "extra interest" recommendations. I'm not sure how or if we will use them, but I am going to print everything. If I have it, I might decide to use it. If I don't have it ready, I know it won't get done!

As usual, click on the images to download the 4x6 photo file. These can be printed at any photo kiosk. To print three images per page, click the links to download a .pdf file. This option is great if you prefer to print at home or an office supply store.

First up are the assigned paintings. Download the three-on-a-page file here.





Here are the extra interest options. You can download the three-on-a-page file here.





Apparently Cole was quite fond of painting series illustrating cycles - notice both the Empire series and the Journey series. On a side note, I was ridiculously proud of myself when I recognized "Destruction" as the cover illustration on a book about the fall of the Roman empire. Yet again I have to admit that I am learning at least as much as my kids are from this homeschooling thing!
My husband grew up near Cotopaxi, Colorado. This is not that Cotopaxi, in case you are wondering. Apparently Church journeyed to the Andes to view the fabled volcano.


This is my own personal addition. I stumbled across it while searching for other art paintings, and I love it too much not to include it for my kiddos.

What do you think of this term's artwork? It's a big change from Manet in Term 2! Are you going to include the optional artwork? How do you plan on working it in?

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for these! They are formatted so nicely. I love them:). I, too, had found the Kindred Spirits piece and decided to include it. So lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for making these available for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had already made our year's artist study 'cards' but they didn't come out so beautiful as yours! The ones I had printed at Walgreen's had portions cut off :(
    You've done amazing here! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first year I ordered them from Walgreens, and I had the same problem with a few. This year I am using the three-on-a-page format and having them printed on glossy card stock. I will have to cut them out, but I won't have to worry about them aligning properly.

      Delete
  4. These are wonderful! Thank you for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are wonderful! I ordered the Copley prints from Snapfish and they ended up pretty dark. I am thinking of putting these on a thumb drive for my digital photo frame. Still trying to decide about ordering more pictures. In any case, thanks for all of your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sara. From what I have seen lookng around the web, Copley's paintings were fairly dark. Some biographers talk about him playing with the contrast between light and dark, especially in his portraits. I haven't actually seen any of his paintings in real life, so maybe it is just the prints on the web.

      Delete
  6. How did I miss this blog of yours! I will be using it now all the time! Exactly what I need, someone a bit ahead of me, that uses the same art, folk songs, and composers for study and delight! LOL. I had done some 4x6 printing before, but you have inspired me to resume it and do it orderly. Thanks, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, if you want a cheap price but good quality place, and they will send you the prints home, that is www.winkflash.com, I love this site, cheaper than Walgreens with shipping included. Do not forget to always write the coupon ONLY4CENTS, or something, they have it, but it is not always very visible, and your 4x6 pics will only be four cents.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, these are just lovely! You formatted them so beautifully! Thank you for sharing this resource with us.

    ReplyDelete